Saturday, May 18, 2013

Jackie Chan in Cannes: Expendables 3, Police Story 2013 and Skiptrace

Jackie Chan is currently in Cannes and has been talking about a lot of upcoming projects, not least of all the Expendables 3 rumours.

He said "[The Expendables team] did contact me, but right now I have not read the script yet," 

"I’d love to work with Stallone, but until I get back next week and meet Stallone and his manager, see the script… that’s when he’ll tell me what happens."

"I’d most like to have a fight scene with Stallone. Though I’d like to team up with him against the bad guy. There are so many action stars involved, it must be so difficult being the director. How do you share out every scene? 'I want to do something special, I want to do something special!' At the end, it’s all small parts, small parts, small parts. I want a big part! I hope I have a big part with Stallone!"

When asked who would win this fight with Stallone, he smiled and said "I would, I run faster than him."

I know it's just a silly interview at Cannes and obviously there's a little language barrier to overcome but it sounds like Jackie is somewhat missing the point of The Expendables. If there are any 'big' parts at all it's Stallone and Statham and personally that's a dynamic I really hope they don't mess with. They were in danger of messing with it a little in the second one when Arnie and Bruce showed up but I think, ultimately, it was ok.
Stallone does his best to give everyone their moment in the limelight and, again, I think he pulled that off better in the first one but I don't think we need to turn The Expendables into the Stallone and Chan show, Jackie should do a buddy cop film with Sly if that's what he wants. Also how do you have a film where he fights Stallone AND team up with him?
Anyway in Sly we trust, I guess we are going to have to wait and see.

He then went on to talk about Police Story 2013 which, apparently, is being touted as a franchise reboot more than just another sequel, as, in it, Chan plays a different character from Kevin Chan Ka-Kui and his character now comes from the mainland.

"I’ve just finished Police Story 2013. It’s totally different to my last movie, 12 Zodiac. 12 Zodiac was 'ah-ah-ah-ah-ah' (mimes fast kung fu moves), whereas Police Story 2013 is very much a drama. That’s why I choose different roles every year – I don’t like to do three 12 Zodiacs in a row, then Rush Hours 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So after 12 Zodiac, then Police Story, now I’m doing Skiptrace. A different kind of character. Next year, probably Karate Kid 2, then I’m back to the old things again."

Not sure how he would even squeeze in a BIG role in Expendables 3 (shooting later this year) with that busy roster!

Skiptrace will see Chan teaming up with Fan Bingbing who he starred with in Shinjuku incident. It's an English language, action comedy about a Hong Kong detective who joins forces with a gambler to take down a notorious criminal. There had been talks about Chris Tucker starring but Jackie Chan didn't want it confused with it being Rush Hour 4. It will be directed by Sam Fell who previously did animated films Paranorman and Flushed Away.

"This is a script I’ve been developing for 20 years," says Chan. "One of my babies. Then I gave it to Sam, he changes a lot of the script, he changes a lot of the characters. I really want the situation to help with a lot of the stunts. You don’t want another restaurant, a beach, a boat… I have to find new locations for the fights. And this movie is all about the locations. Mongolia, Siberia, Macau, Hong Kong, Yellow River, Vietnam, construction sites… that helps with a lot of action comedy."
- All interview sourced from Empire Online

Skiptrace wants to shoot in September, again something that might conflict with Expendables 3. We wait and see...

- The Kick Ass Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...